Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Saturday, October 07, 2006

What Satuday's results may mean...a review of the MU game

MU fans should have been rooting for Albany Saturday to deal Stony Brook a league loss. But SBU won, 33-21. Remember MU loses a tiebreaker to SBU due to last week's result. So now who's gonna beat SBU? Maybe CCSU at the end of the season? Does MU no good though as far as hosting the Gridiron Classic unless MU wins out and SBU loses another NEC game.

MU and CCSU still have to face two teams of what I consider the Big Four (MU, SBU, Albany, CCSU ). MU has to play CCSU and Albany. CCSU has to play MU and SBU. Albany and SBU have already faced two of theBig Four. So MU at the least needs Stony Brook to lose twice. Two former Shore Conference players - SBU's Cory Giddings (Ocean) returned two fumbles for touchdowns in the first half Saturday and Josh Dudash (TR South) threw for 236 yards vs. Albany. MU is probably looking at running the NEC table to have a title shot which, in my opinion, with the schedule facing it, is going to be difficult.

Saturday's game review - My take: . MU looked very good in the first half..then seemed to take its foot off the gas in the second, but it's defense had Sacred Heart under wraps all day. Was that really four sacks for MU? I was counting blitzes or trying to for a while and jotted down what I thought were three in the first quarter, not many (any?) there after. No need to blitz when you're winning by multi scores.

I hate to pick on players - and it's certainly not personal - but Shane Sharpley has got to catch the ball a whole lot better than he has and TE John Nalbone, who I believe doesn't drop a whole lot, had a few today as well, though I thought Boland missed him high in the end zone early.

Just my opinion here but I'd like to see MU give big Ronnie Lauch a look at WR. This is not because he's a local kid (Wall). I wouldn't care if he's from the Great Wall of China or Wall, Montana. I felt he looked good in the preseason scrimmages I saw (that was waaaaaaay back of course) and I really have no idea how he's fared in daily practice since. I just think MU could use another reliable WR, no matter who it is, as teams attempt to zero in on Adam San Miguel and, no, I do not advocate activating any freshman who are being red shirted.


Brian Boland, I felt, had another strong day overall, running and passing. Dave Sinisi, who had a teriffic run for a 27-yard play after a catch on MU's second TD drive, always seems to me about one step from breaking a long one.

Did you notice? A Boland 14-yard run was the longest play on MU's 90-yard TD drive. You could have gone and had lunch and come back and that drive would have still been going. It was a 19-play march that consumed over eight minutes. That's ball control.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The offense definitely took their foot of the gas in the second half. How long this offense going to keep throwing these screens? Why don’t they throw more downfield on long downs? Some of those screens did work today, however it was similar to last week’s offense, and obviously Sacred Heart isn’t Stony Brook. It seems that the deep ball was there early in the year but has disappeared the last two games.

12:28 AM, October 08, 2006  
Blogger Tony Graham said...

It also mean's I'll never win a spelling bee if I have to spell Saturday


Anyway...It looks like San Miguel is the only deep threat and, I believe, the one time Boland attempted to throw deep to Adam, he was double covered.


There's nothing wrong with screens and slants...if they catch them. MU did a good job mixing the run and pass today.



But I think we were all spoiled after three-four years of Miles Austin.

12:43 AM, October 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who give you the names of players who make the plays. If you were at the game they announced T.J. Cerezo #56 as recovering the fumble. Mike is a integral player and this is not to discredit him, but you often overlook Cerezo who had at least 3 key defensive plays in the game.

10:52 AM, October 08, 2006  
Blogger Tony Graham said...

Yes..they did announce T.J. at the game and then in the pressbox. And, after the game, on the official play-by-play sheet, which is usually a corrected version of game developments, they listed Castellano. That is what I go by if I don't see a play clearly myself. I will attempt to check with coach today. On the official post game defensive chart MU listed him with three tackles. On the MU official defensive season stats on line as we speak T.J. is given 15 tackles, eighth on the team, and no recovered fumbles (yet!) Anyway, in the overall picture, MU enjoyed a dominating day on defense. If T.J. winds up with the FR I will note it here and attempt to get in in Monday's story

11:16 AM, October 08, 2006  
Blogger Tony Graham said...

It was TJ!!!

Give Cerezo credit for the fumble recovery in the first quarter per coach Callahan. That would be the second of his MU career. Had a 44-yard TD with a fumble last season vs. RMU. MU's gonna have to change their stats.

3:11 PM, October 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home