Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

It's MAAC time again!!!

Yes boys and girls, our newsroom tells me the MAAC could come up for a vote at Thursday's WLB planning board meeting.



I know many of you won't believe it until you see that first shovel in the ground (yours truly included) but, barring more objections (there usually are), it could be voted on Thursday night.

What I don't profess to understand is - no matter what objections are raised, why the WLB planning board doesn't just go ahead and vote and get this thing over with one way or the other.

But anyway - Here are my thoughts on the proposed new arena from what I have heard about it.

We all know it will help MU and its athletics and recruiting, etc.

But will it be of benefit to WLB? Does water benefit a flower?

From what I have been informed:

Local community and school groups will be able to arrange to utilize the MAAC and the Boylan Gym for athletic clinics, school graduations (high school), proms, fund raisers, some competitions, etc.

The fitness center will be open to local residents at a minimal fee. In addition, by expanding seating capability from what they have in Boylan, MU will be able to bring in notable speakers for programs which members of the local communities will be able to attend.

MU President Gaffney, I have been told, has briefed the WLB Recreation Association and sports authority on the potential for its greater use and MU has said that some limited “tournament” play can occur at MU.

I have to think Shore Regional, Monmouth Regional, Ocean Township, etc. would be excited to play some basketball games (boys and girls) there.

This is a building that will be in the center of campus, but also be a substantial plus for WLB and, I understand it, have no detrimental impact on the surrounding area.

Oh, I forgot. It's going to cause Garden State Parkway type traffic snarls in WLB at 9pm on a winter evening.

Give me a break.

Do I have a vested interest in seeing this arena come to fruition?
Yes, I will have a better "working area." I hope to personally monitor the construction of press row which must be located very close to the nearest snack stand.

Seriously....I get paid the same whether I work in Boylan Gym, whether MU plays there or in Gaffney's driveway, or whether MU wins or loses.

But I would like to see it happen. It benefits MU and WLB. In my opinion, I just don't see any viable reasons for it not to.


e-mail tonygsports@aol.com

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone needs to tell these folks from WLB it's not about them..other option...have tommy the spirit coordinator manzo through a pizza party for every kid in town with magical blue hawk balls and pom-poms...MU-rah-rah MU-rah-rah- Monmouth, Monmouth HAWKS!

11:38 PM, November 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Monmouth has become a very competitive university in sports. Football started in 1993 and look where they are now! Basketball has proven over the past year that they are the real deal. West Long Branch should accept them by now as a great part of the community - how could they not be proud? If not, MU should look off campus and build a sports complex w/ new football field and basketball arena. WLB has brought everything to a ridiculous standstill.

7:39 AM, November 15, 2006  
Blogger Tony Graham said...

I have made this suggestion on a prior blog some weeks back and, also, personally, to Gaffney. When I spoke with him informally about this he indicated MU does not have an off campus arena on its radar.

That, in itself, would be another complex under taking.

At the moment they seem to be close to getting it done in WLB.

But, who can say? Any prospect of any lengthy further delays in WLB may cause MU to rethink the situation.

Press news reporter Carol Gorga Williams hopefuly will call me late tonight with news from WLB, whatever it is. If she does I will post it on the blog.

9:13 AM, November 15, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gaffney needs to take a tough stand and support MU athletics! It will be for the benefot of all....Lets look at MU athletics:

1. Mens basketball-dynasty in the NEC
2. Mens football-becoming dynastic in NEC
3.Mens soccer-on the rise, great young coach
4.Womens soccer-always solid, another great year for coach Turnr
5.What else matters?

*MU will win another Commisioner's Cup this year and get shafted over a new MAAC. LEts go WLB join the wagon!
MMMMMM----UUUUUU!

1:24 PM, November 16, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim,

MU basketball has proven over the past year its the real deal? I guess you dont follow hoops all that much...They have proved it consistently since 2000. They are the only D-I team in the Metropolitan area with six staright winning seasons....

1:26 PM, November 16, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home