Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

A Tuesday afternoon chat with Miles Austin: Part 1

I started by asking Miles about the reaction later in the evening to his TD.

Austin - ""After the game I was obviously distraught because we lost.
""But after the game on the bus ride home listing to my (cell phone) messages kind of cheered me back up, just to hear all my friends and everyone with the positive feed back. It definitely made me feel a lot better."

Had Miles come close this year to breaking any other kick offs for TDs?
Austin - " I always was kind one one block away, one missed tackle away or something like that.''

About the TD:.

Austin - That was the first time I really just hit it clean, shot right out. It was a great feeling to get out there. I've got the best blockers in the league on kick returns. They cleared the path for me, just basically let me run.""
Miles later added..."Honestly it was the best feeling I ever had in my life. Nothing can compare to it. I thought scoring the touchdown in the preseason was like really big. And t was big at the time because I felt like it helped me to make the team. But scoring that touchdown was a great feeling.
"Losing doesn't help it out. If we would have won that game I would have felt a lot better.''

On his reaction after reaching the end zone:
Austin - My parents were in the stands right where I was running in so I was pointing at them.""

On the play where Dallas was attempting the game-winning field goal:

Austin - ""I was on the sidelines with all the other guys, obviously thinking we were going to make the field goal and go two (points). In my mind I was more worried about, "":All right. I've got to make a play on the kick off now." I wasn't even thinking about if we missed the field goal or anything like that.
"Obviously it was a tough thing to handle for everyone on our team. I went from being happy to being upset - then when he (Tony Romo) started running with the ball I was like "Maybe we can score (the two-point conversion) here.' And then he got tackled. it was highs and lows in like six seconds.''

Miles on Romo:
Austin - "Tony had a great game. I've got nothing but good things to say about him. He just happened to make the mistake. It stinks because he gets blamed for it but he was the one who got us in that position. He took the brunt of the loss from the media stand point.It was a tough deal for him.
""It was an exciting game. We didn't come out on the right side of it but it was sure enough an exciting game.''


More coming up....shortly

e-mail tonygsports@aol.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home