Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Latest football and hoops news

First football....though it didn't look serious at the time back up right guard freshman Shawn Wright (6-2, 275) broke his leg vs. SHU Saturday... he's done for the year. MU will, in my opinion, probably look into a medical red shirt possibility.

Also, for those of you who are following this stuff, back up frosh left guard Derek Rosinski has played this season bringing the total of frosh used to five far as I know. Don't know yet who will replace Wright..will ask Callahan.

Am doing a story for Thursday on PALS..that's the group of Aaron Edwards, Cornell Key, and Dana Webster who are running a football specific mentor type program for the freshman and sophomores ..some interesting stuff....

Now Hoops...Calloway has changed the time of Saturday's first practice. Sorry, no mid night madness. ""It's 9-am Madness,'' he told me. Will start at 9am sted of 10am.

This (Mid Night Madness) is something you as fans have to take up with him. MU has all these pre-game and post game gatherings for season ticket holders. That might be a good time for some of you to speak with him about it, but it's not happening this season.

Calloway said John Bunch is expected to practice Saturday. Saw him working out today..doing a lot of running. Looked OK. Mike Shipman will practice..maybe not full tilt but he will practice. Saw him shooting around today. You'd never know he was hurt.

As I mentoned on a recent comment Yaniv Simpson will not practice this weekend and will have a bone scan Monday. MU is hopeful he is being bothered by shin splints and not a stress fracture.

I belieive Marqus Alston will be practicing, not sure though, in the wake of the death of his father. I will double check with Calloway and let you know.

I will not be at practice due to traveling to Wagner for football. Will probably check out practice next week on Tuesday. (Hmmmmm...I suppose I could get there at nine and leave for Wagner about 1030am...how bad do I want to kill myself after covering a hs football game Friday night? and will it be worth it if they don't scrimmage while I'm there??? )

To quote Allen Iverson...""Practice, we're talking practice".