Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Thursday, December 07, 2006

What are your hoop hopes?

Let's talk about ultimate goals goals and realistic goals for MU, Seton Hall, and RU men's basketball fans, and how they differ.


If I were a beat writer for SHU or RU I think I would find fans who would expect:


Realistic goals:
1. At the very least for RU and SHU, to make a consistent run at an NCAA Tournament berth. Do you agree? (pretend you're an RU or SHU fan, or fans of these teams who stumble across this blog pitch right in!). Yes - This is very realistic. No, too demanding.

2. Win NCAA games, at least occasionally advance deep into the NCAAs. Yes..realistic. Gonzo! Freddie! Get me there soon! No..too demanding.

Far reaching but ultimate goal: win the NCAA championship. Yes. That has to be the goal. Nothing less. Gonzo and or Freddie gone after X number of years if it doesn't happen and soon by the way! No.....just not realistic. I'm satisfied with making runs into the Dance.


Now, what are MU fans seeking from the Hawks?


Realistic goals
1. At the mimimum, consistent winning records and advancement to the NEC Tournament final. Yes: this is the minimum. No, it's too demanding. Just get me to the NECs.


2. Win the NEC Tournament. Maybe not every year but at least every few years.
Yes..as a Monmouth fan I will not be satisfied with less. If Dave doesn't win it every year or fairly often I'll root for FDU. On second thought, I'd rather be burned at the stake. Never mind. I'll think of something.


No, if MU gets to the finals every now and then I'm happy. If they win every so often - well great!

Far reaching but ultimate goal: win an NCAA Tournament game.

Yes!!! I feel we should be able to do this. I don't care if MU is an NEC team and it's gym was built in 1965. Dave has to win an NCAA game soon or get me someone else! Yo - Dean Smith? Care to unretire at the Jersey Shore?



No....to demand this of MU is just too impractical.


So - MU zealots (though some of the above was written with tongue in cheek), what is realistic or unrealistic in your thinking? Your thoughts????

I will offer mine on what is realistic and unrealstic for MU after a while.

e-mail tonygsports@aol.com

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honestly I believe MU should be expected to at least play in the NEC championship game. This program is a power in the NEC and has tremendous success. All of the great players who have worn the Monmouth jersey testifies to this. Johnson, Krayl, Hamilton, Azzarelli, Alston - these guys are household names - to me at least! The Hawks should at least be expected to front a competitive side at this point.

The future of Monmouth should include an extended stay in the NCAA's, especially with the recruiting base I believe it's possible.

7:46 AM, December 07, 2006  
Blogger Tony Graham said...

Jim, nice job!

10:49 AM, December 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree MU should be in the NEC champinship game just about every year, and either go to the NCAA tourney, or get an NIT bid..

3:27 PM, December 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prediction:
MU-67 LIU-61
*John Bunch will be the x-factor against the small LIU team tonight*

4:43 PM, December 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are very lucky to have a great program in our back yard as fans.MU will and always has been a top level NEC team. Dave and his staff will keep it that way and one thing for sure MU will be there at the end come tourny time.

11:07 PM, December 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SO MUCH FOR THE XFACTOR. GREAT COME BACK THOUGH.

8:24 AM, December 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home