Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Monday, December 25, 2006

MU Football: TR North standout Arin West to visit MU/St. Peter's star visits Hawks/ more on Ogden

All of the following courtesy of NJvarsity.com

College recruiters constantly scour the country looking for athletic and versatile high school players for their programs. One player who definitely fits this mold is DB Arin West of Toms River North, who excelled on both sides of the ball during his senior season and is now dealing with his recruitment.


West, 6-foot-1 and 195-pounds, finished his senior season with 76 tackles, 2 interceptions, 2 forced fumbles, and 2 fumble recoveries while playing as a safety. As a quarterback he also completed 99 of 161 passes for 1,165 yards and 8 touchdowns, while also rushing for 533 yards and 4 touchdowns on 137 carries.

"For me I think I did pretty well," said West. "The team also did well, especially with all the new players. They really came in and helped out, even if it was their first year ever playing football."

With his versatility, West already holds two offers and is also talking to a set of Atlantic 10 programs.

"Recruiting is alright," said West, who is being recruited as a defensive back. "I have full rides from Albany and Monmouth, and I'm just talking to William & Mary, Villanova, and Delaware."

West also has his first official lined up to Monmouth for January 19th. So what is he looking for in a school?

"Mostly just seeing if I'd be able to maybe come in and be an impact right away," said West. "Also definitely a school with a good educational reputation."





St. Peter's Prep defensive end Ravi Pradanhang was believed to have quite a few Division I offers. In fact, the 6-foot-3, 240-pounder currently holds just a pair of offers from Maine and Monmouth, but is getting serious interest from BCS conference schools.
Monmouth and Maine are the only offers I have," he said. "I took a visit last weekend to Monmouth and it went well. I was really impressed by the social life up there. The football players were really close."

Plenty of other schools are looking at the three-star prospect.

"I'm still talking to New Hampshire, Massachussetts, Connecticut and South Florida," he said. "I'm waiting to hear back from UConn and South Florida; they say they'll be in touch at the end of January. I think they are still looking at tape."

Pradanhang claims there are no favorites for his services.

"I'm still taking visits and I'll be choosing later at the end of January," he said. "Really, I'm looking for a place with strong academics because I want something in the future besides just football. As far as football goes, I'd like to be challenged and go where the competition is the best."

The No. 30 strongside defensive end in the country has a tentative visit planned with Maine on January 12th.

This season the Garden State prospect helped St. Peter's Prep to an 11-2 season.



OGDEN (from NJvarsity.com)

Ogden, 6-foot-3 and 230-pounds, finished his senior season with 88 tackles, 15 sacks, and 35 tackles for a loss. His performance on the field earned him 1st team All-State honors, plus he was named the Passaic County Defensive Player of the Year. For his career at Wayne Hills, he finished with the school record for both sacks (40) and tackles for a loss (77), while finishing only three short of the tackles record (232). The previous record for sacks and tackles for a loss at Wayne Hills was held by Ryan Neil, who played at Rutgers and is now with the Buffalo Bills.

"The season went fantastic for me," said Ogden. "After be named All State 1st team my junior year, I knew teams were going to run away from my side or double and triple team me. I knew going into the season I had my work cut out for me and that there were a lot of expectations. I was going to have to step it up and make plays from the backside and my teammates were outstanding. Teams we played learned quickly that they could not concentrate on only one player, as our defensive front four was unstoppable, the linebackers were relentless, and I credit the defensive backs for many of our sacks in passing situations. As far as ending my high school career, I was part of three straight State Championships, it was a dream come true. I will live with this amazing feeling for the rest of my life."

Earlier in December, Ogden took visits to both Monmouth and William & Mary, but it was the Jersey school that stood out.

"Deciding on Monmouth was simple for me," said Ogden. "I met Monmouth coach Scott Van Zile, who played his high school football in North Jersey and I quickly understood where the Monmouth program was going and where they wanted to be. When I went to a Monmouth game I was impressed with the team. The school was beautiful and the football atmosphere was great. At the time I did not realize that they had so many great athletes from New Jersey on the team. Some of these players I either remembered playing against or reading about in the papers. On my official visit to Monmouth everyone was just great to me. After meeting head coach Kevin Callahan and the rest of the coaching staff I felt that this was a sincere staff. The coaches, players, and administration made me feel wanted, it felt like home. After traveling as far north as New Hampshire and as far south as Williamsburg, Virginia, I decided to take the Monmouth's offer. I wanted to keep it home in my own state of New Jersey where my friends and family can come and watch me play. In addition to Monmouth's success, I felt even bigger things are going to happen at Monmouth. There are more and more New Jersey high school players deciding to play there. I wanted to be part of this program and the positive feeling going on down there."

Aside from Monmouth and William & Mary, other schools that were involved include New Hampshire, Lehigh, Lafayette, Cincinnati, and Stony Brook.

e-mail tonygsports@aol.com

3 Comments:

Blogger Tony Graham said...

Just seems to me MU is involved with many of the better high school football players in NJ a shade below "big time" which is where MU recruiting at the 1-AA scholarship level should be.

2:20 PM, December 25, 2006  
Blogger Tony Graham said...

Since we're talking football....

E A G L E S!

I can't believe it!

I'm glad Miles Austin's fumble did not cost Dallas. I wonder if Miles ever got a look like that (did you see the Parcells glare?) from Kevin Callahan.

8:14 PM, December 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its amazing the type of players MU is involved with. They are going to another level.

10:31 PM, December 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home