Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

A chat with the coach of Howie's Heroes

Talked to CCSU coach Howie Dickenman this afternoon. . Have known Howie for some 10 years now. Actually I was supposed to interview him for Thursday Press MU v. CCSU preview, but to make a long story short, he didn't get back to me until I had already written it..not his fault .I had to complete it earlier than I would have preferred..

..

Anyway, he was telling me..when CCSU hosted SFNY in its first conference game..at the time CCSU was 1-4 overall, had lost to Stonybrook in pre-season and had trouble with D2 Pace, he was very concerned .



He felt the SFNY game was terribly important because he thought it could involve a tie-breaker for EIGHTH place...

Safe to say he wasn't too optimistic about this season early on.....

Said his three main players..Nwadike, Mojica, and Blackwood have been the keys (OK, we knew that!) and that Sobers has really been a major surprise as a senior....that Sobers doesn't even practice and is playing hurt because of a leg injury We really didn't talk about MU..but he said he is hoping the CCSU bubble doesn't burst but is worried it might at any time.....that it (CCSU) is a very fragile team....

,.

Howie, in my opinion, is a terrific coach . He also might be one of the most demanding coaches (perhaps a tad on the edge at times?) I know of and, frankly, not everyone can play for him...

Big problem with CCSU last few years, in my opinion, has been the lack of a true big man (even by NEC standards) while MU had Blake and then Bunch ...Howie feels Sobers has filled the role as a more legit NEC post presence this year ...

So...will the bubble burst Thursday?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really respect Howie and his players. His teams always play hard and he's had some really good, hard-working and talented players over the last few years. Corsley Edwards, Ron Robinson, Lenny Jefferson, Justin Chiera, DeMario Anderson, Tristan Blackwood, Javier Mojica and of course, Obie Nwadeke. His team this year really doesn't scare me talent and depth-wise. However, I feel that Howie can and has out-coached every coach in the NEC on a regular basis.

9:49 AM, February 15, 2007  
Blogger Tony Graham said...

I must correct myself....CCSU hasn't had had a true ""big man" up front since Ron Robinson ....though Blake's teams were better, deeper I thought all around...

And Edwards..well....enough said there..

10:15 AM, February 15, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tony-

Who was the guy at the end of the table near the CCSU bench, i noticed he was with Central. Was he an extra coach? he was taller with a shaved head. Acted like a real ballbag during the game.

10:22 AM, February 16, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home