Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Sunday, January 28, 2007

My post game comments/ post game quotes/etc.

Had to be thrilling for MU fans to see Delic produce the way he did...and for a second game in a row actually. MU needs a senior or its seniors to step up and have a big second half of the season.

Bunch appeared very enegertic and determined. Why is it every time he touches the ball people scream, "Shoot," like when he's 10-or-more feet from the hoop. What are they thinking?

I heard he told someone before the game, "If I can't make a shot I have to rebound to help the team." He made a few shots..grabbed eight boards..blocked six shots..he's such a key to how they'll do....

I couldn't figureout why - early in the game - Alston roared down the lane, had a clear path to a dunk, and then dished to Coleman in the left corner who missed the open 3.

Coleman (ave. 15.5 ppg. in the last two home games, 15 last night and sparked MU's first half rally) began the game averaging 12.6 ppg. in home games and 6.6 per game on the road.."Jet," - 13 points last night, has hit double figures in the last six games..






Delic and Calloway on the game's playoff atmosphere..


""I've never played playoff games this early in the season ince I've been at Monmouth,'' Delic said.

""It seemed like a playoff atmosphere out there,'' said Calloway. ""Packed house, the crowd got into it, it as fun.''

""I couldn't sleep before the game really well,'' said Delic. ""It was a playoff game, that's what it was.''

Calloway on having a week off before next Saturday night's game with SFNY, ""I'm glad from the stand point of - I want to see now - I think we can build on this and have a great week of practice, and get better.

""We beat, I think by far, one of the top three talented teams in the league. So now we know we can beat (good) teams, but this was at home.

""So now we've got to have a great week of practice and get better, like we were playing tonight but also back when we played Lehigh and Loyola Marymount. We had a lot of practices to get ready for that, too. (I assume there he meant good practices.''

I asked Calloway about Jeremy Chappell's fouling out with 15:43 left on the "T."

" I was more excited we got four foul shots (two by Delic on the T, and two by Hallett hit in the act of shooting. Each split their attempts). Deki promised me he was going to make two.""

""That hurts them,'' said Calloway of Chappell's disqualification. ''Their first five is as talented as anybody. He was their leading scorer (16 points) at the time, and he was still their second leading scorer.''


He was replaced by 6-4 freshman Mezie Nwige who notched five for six from the line in 21 minutes.

That situation reminded me of the '95 NEC playoff game with FDU when Jack Gordon got a T and fouled out with about 4-5 minutes left, and FDU won on a tip in at the buzzer by Rahson Turner.

That was a bad play by Chappell and I would say the same if it was an MU player. A player in that situation can't be taking a chance like that and it may have cost the team the game.





Other quick hits: MU has now won two straight when yielding more than 30 points in the first half and also won when yielding more than 60 points..rarities for the Hawks, but holding RMU to 68 is almost like like holding anyone else to 58...If you didn't hear, S Heart had a 19-point lead at CCSU when the Devils came back and won in OT...MU has to go 7-2 second half of the season to clinch that winning season which is back within range again...

Women's observation...teriffic game by Bender (24 points, 11 boards, six off the offensive glass) and was sporting an ice pack on her forehead much of the evening after being knocked to the floor in the second half ...

Hawks need to learn how to slow it down and take better care of the ball...

11 Comments:

Blogger Tony Graham said...

Also...though MU won this one..if I was MU, RMU is not a team I would want to see in the NEC Tournament..home or away.

Take this win and run with it!

1:15 AM, January 28, 2007  
Blogger Tony Graham said...

Met Bob Curran before the game. Very nice man.


He was so happy I picked RMU to win the game noting my recent MU picks have been less than on the nose...as was this one!

1:33 AM, January 28, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tony what a great game. Hawks showed some guts and really looked great at stretches. If they can complete the sweep of this home stand, they are right back in the mix. Three out of the next four would be great in my opinion.

Deki was shooting like Steve Alford last night, and Bunch had a little bit of Pat Ewing in him. It was very exciting, and good to see the seniors step up especially.

I really like Mike Shipman coming off the bench. I think he plays much more under control, and he definetly has a lot to offer this team. I dont know what his future holds, but I would like to see him as a sixth man for the duration of this year, and possibly next as well. He adds a great deal of hustle and spark off the bench.

Can somone please tell Whitney that he is ready to be a star?

And Jhamar, also looked very good. This kid has big time talent, and is going to be a special player.

9:32 AM, January 28, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I said at the start of the season that RMU was one of the teams I was afraid of because of their three-point shooting. Well, last night, as I said in the pre-season, they were "popping threes like gum drops," but we were able to overcome all that and pull out a great victory. Calloway's T sparked both the team and crowd, who seemed to help will the team to victory.

Let's take this win and parlay it into a nice winning streak to fly back up to the upper echelon of the standings.

9:44 AM, January 28, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't usually like to see coaches get T's, but Dave had to scream at that ref -- had to be one of the worst calls I've ever seen. RMU player had the ball in his hands, dropped it out of bounds, and the ref gave it back to RMU -- unbelievable!
Worst part was the other ref came running across court to tell him so, but he didn't even want to hear him and held stubbornly to his mistake!

9:45 AM, January 28, 2007  
Blogger Tony Graham said...

Maybe we can get some Jason Krayl input here...I know he was at the game...

12:32 PM, January 28, 2007  
Blogger Tony Graham said...

Robert Morris had averaged 85.7 points in the past three games. Saturday night it was trying to score 80 or more points in four consecutive games for the first time since the early 90's.

12:39 PM, January 28, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow what a game!I'm glad I was asble to see it in person. Everyone seemed amped up & you could feel it in the building that this was just going to be MU's nite (with no help from the officials...especially the short blind one who wouldn't even listen to his cohorts when they tried to tell him his err & to compound matters T'ed up Coach C) I think RMU's trash talking with Ship & Whit was totally unnecessary, & maybe one reason that the guys played with more emotion than witnessed these past few weeks. Once again good game... Let's go MU!!!

2:41 PM, January 28, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK Tony I see how it is -- I take the time to post about how bad a call that ref made & you don't even put it on the board -- why?
Yet I see this last post with exactly the same topic and it goes up --- I'm outta here!

3:53 PM, January 28, 2007  
Blogger Tony Graham said...

Not sure what comment you were referring to...I didn't chop any posts today that I am aware..sure you sent it to this particular topic??..

4:50 PM, January 28, 2007  
Blogger Tony Graham said...

FYI to all..


Often comments that say are are deleted are my own - for spelling purposes - And then I re-publish them.

4:57 PM, January 28, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home