Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Thursday, September 14, 2006

MU football scholarship question and answer

This came in from muhawkfan and I thought for anyone who has a question in this area it can be addressed here..


Here is the comment from muhawkfan: Whats up with the scholarships, less than 10 ? Thats pretty sad, i think they get 23 i could be wrong.Should have been broken up into partials. This way most of the players including the upper class could of gotten some money.Who's decesion was it to give them out this way the coach or the A.D.?

My comment: Right. Marilyn is trying to ruin the program! C'mon muhawkfan...get a grip here.


As I understand it .... NEC football programs are now allowed up to 30 full football rides..maximum...on a roster as of this season and for the foreseeable future. That's not 30 per year.. that's 30 on a roster at any one time. Total. So it would not make sense to dole out all 30 now in the freshman class. Then you'd have none for the next three years.

MU gave "less than 10" this year per coach..and I'm sure some were partials divided among more than 10 players. Also..the rides were only allowed to go to freshmen.otherwise it would have caused league wide chaos on the rosters.

Say MU adds 10 or so to next year's frosh..that makes maybe 20 for a rough and very unofficial figure ....then it has to be careful so that in year four it still has scholarships to give. Who knows? By that time the NEC may be offering even more scholarships..especially if it ever gets the automatic bid to the NCAAs.

I believe D 1-AA schools are allowed around 60 full rides on a team at any one time ...Anyway..""less than 10" at this time seems prudent.. and don't worry...I am sure MU has it worked out for future seasons. Callahan is a stickler for detail. Trust me on that one.

I will double check with MU about the above numbers and if there are any corrections to what I have written here I will let everyone know.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tony Graham said...

OK. OK. I do not mean to offend or embarrass anyone on here, certainly didn't mean to do that. I appreciate muhawkfan's participation and all responses and discussion. Your (muhawkfan) comments were published in full and had some concerns which I hope I addressed. I think you felt somehow MU was bobbling the ball on the scholarships and I hope I was able to straighten out the scholarship issues.

11:28 PM, September 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As we all know Monmouth has a certain amount of scholarships to give out for football. It is early but any real good potential recruits that you have heard mentioned?

Also, as Monmouth gets better and better (plus new recruits!) will we ever see them move up to the A-10 (a HUGE jump...just speculative)? Also when are we going to see a rivalry open up with Rutgers?

That is how big I hope MU gets.

8:01 AM, September 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home