Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Friday, April 28, 2006

Former Point Boro RB to Monmouth U?

I spoke Thursday night with Brian Friedman, who rushed for 1,900 yards and scored 27 touchdowns for Point Pleasant Boro in 2004 and red-shirted at Rutgers last year as a walk-on. He said he hopes to be at Monmouth U. by September.
He told me has has received his release Greg Schiano. ""I plan on transferring to Monmouth next semester,'' said Freidman.
""I'm going to try and go there and earn a scholarship for the second semester which begins in the spring,'' he told me.
""It all depends on my grades and what happens financially but my plan is to be there (Monmouth) next semester.""
Under NCAA rules governing transfers Friedman would be eligible to play immediately since he is transferring "down" from Division I to I-AA. He said he will have four years of playing eligibility.
At Point Boro Friedman led Point Boro to an 11-1 record in 2004 and the finals of the NJSIAA South Jersey II playoffs where it lost to West Deptford.
This is not etched in stone by any means but, in my opinion, Friedman would be the brusing big back Monmouth does not have at the moment.
MU's offense definitely struggled in the spring games. The offensive line had some injuries that sure didn't help, and the veteran defense played very well.
Marcus Shell, a speedy defensive back, a transfer, was impressive.
If I was a Monmouth fan though I, at this moment in time, would be concerned about the ability this year to put points on the board.
Of course spring games are like pre-season games, different combinations, etc. etc., so it's hard to get a true read.
But I didn't see any athlete truly shine on offense (maybe I was spoiled by Miles Austin!). Maybe it means something. Maybe it doesn't. There is some young offensive talented scholarship freshmen arriving in September.
We'll see if they impact (which is difficult for freshman) or if spring struggles were more of a mirage than anything else.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian is a stud and will be a huge addition for Monmouth. Sitting out a year has made him very hunger to go out and play. He has gained significant muscle while increasing his speed. Look forward to seeing him play

3:28 PM, May 02, 2006  
Blogger Tony Graham said...

There was some question about his grades. Naturally he has to be eligible before anything can happen. Now I haven't seen him since high school but in projecting an even bigger and stronger player I certainly agree with you.

5:52 PM, May 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home