Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Thursday, October 18, 2007

MU hoops update/Seton Hall game on FSNY

According to the MU web site - the 1 p.m. Nov. 11 game at Seton Hall will be carried via FSNY.


Went over to practice today.. watched the men for about 45 minutes to an hour and the women for about five -10 minutes. I hope I am not arrested by the Title 9 police...

Men: Jhamar did not practice (some tendonitis). Not to worry. He'll be back next week.

Basically every other play took turns with their good and not so hot moments. Best performances I saw today were from :

Shawn Barlow.. he's improved, stronger, leaner, playing aggressive. Has a chance to see playing time.

George Barbour.. the rookie is very strong, could eventually be a rebounder of some note... Had not practiced until today (knee, leg problems).

Alex Nunner.. I head heard Yaniv Simspon has been shooting very well, but today Nunner had the advangate. Also, he's a junior (which makes him eligible for social security on this team), and plays very good defense.

Rickie Crews - The Phantom looked very good at times, aggressive, rebounding fairly well. I - personally, wish he would take less outside shots for the most part. He can hit them, sometimes. But in my opinion is best served going to the hoop.


Women - Marisa Jimenez and Lakia Barber did practice some. A very good sign. Marisa told me she expects to be cleared by next week for full time action. Lakia also looked good...she is expected to be ready to go for the season, last I heard. Brianne Edwards - did not practice. Last I heard not expected to play, at the earliest, until around Thanksgiving.




Jen Bender looked strong inside, as she usually does. If her medium range jumper ever comes around, itwould take her to another offensive level.

Marbely Montas, the junior college PG, was impressive, especially going to the hoop. Appears to be physically stronger than one would think at first glance.



MU mens and women's practices are open to the public.


Men will hold their first formal intra squad scrimmage a week from Saturday morning.. I think around 9 am though it may be earlier..I will double check the time...

16 Comments:

Blogger B_uzz said...

Tony, I really hope Nunner and Simpson have good practices because they will probably be needed early in the season. I still think that Crews is one of the keys to the team getting off to a good start in the non-conference schedule.

Last year you had some discussions on the conditions in Boylan Gym. I know Monmouth will be getting a new facility in a few years, but are they going to put new lights in to brighten up the facility? Supposedly last year they were going to work on it but that didn't seem to happen. I don't think that there is an attraction to play there for a couple of years for the players with conditions getting worse.

7:14 AM, October 19, 2007  
Blogger Tony Graham said...

Buzz,


Believe it or not I think the new lights were put in around mid season last year (or were supposed to be).

I guess not that you could tell!

Effect on next two years negligible with MAC in the wings.

9:14 AM, October 19, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tony,

I believe the lights were put in over the summer. The facility is 100% brighter and doesn't feel like a cave. You will definately see the improvement when you walk in.

11:52 AM, October 19, 2007  
Blogger Tony Graham said...

Re Lights: Yes, I was over at MU today and they told me ""THERE WILL BE LIGHTS" at the end of the Boylan Gym tunnel this year. Yes, new lighting was installed over the summer.

New light bulbs were put in last year but this is different...

1:37 PM, October 19, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok cool Tony,
Now all we have to work on is better sound system, the "Jet" sound effects, student support and a supportive noise making fan base and were good until the "MAC" comes to town

1:22 AM, October 20, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tony,
I wanted to let your viewers know (I'm sure you already have heard), that Joey Henly the starting PF for Sacred Heart will miss the upcoming season due to injury. I personally was very high on Henley and saw him as a rugged 6'5 4-man ala Obie Nwadeke and Marques Alston mixed. Henley plays football for SHU and tore his anterior cruciate ligament doing so. Henley averaged 11ppg and 4.5 rpg last year for a balanced SHU team. I feel this could really hurt their chances of winning the NEC crown this year, probably moving both RMU and Wanger (it pains me to rate them this high, my disgust for them is extremely strong) ahead of them as the early favorites. I have been really busy with work 60 hours a week, but I am glad to see your input on what is going on during the practices this offseason. I was sad to see Mike Shipman go, I hope Hett will be the real deal right away. Is his game very similar to Tyler's as a freshman? I am intrigued to read that Coach Calloway likened George Barbour to Blake Hamilton in the blue ribbon Monmouth preview article. Have you seen his face-up game...any similarities?

1:41 PM, October 20, 2007  
Blogger Tony Graham said...

Hey.. I thought being the MU Mystery coach WAS your job!!!

The little bit I've seen of Barbour he powers to the basket..but I need to see more. He is very strong and physical.

Don't expect miracles from Hett right now..

He's a very nice point guard but has almost no experienced players around him (aside from Whitney and the Jet).

But I do believe he'll eventually - sooner (maybe) or later be Azzarelli like.

5:24 PM, October 20, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tony,

Any upcoming interviews with Calloway regarding his impressions of the team at this point?

9:35 AM, October 21, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way Tony, it was me who coined the nickname of 'Phantom' for Crews last year, and I'm ready with a new one for him this season -- just waiting to see him in a few games first!

9:38 AM, October 21, 2007  
Blogger Tony Graham said...

I wont' have anything formal set up with Dave on the team for a while yet...I'll see what I can do.

Remember..there is the open intra-squad scrimmage Saturday morning.. We can all judge for ourselves...

11:08 AM, October 21, 2007  
Blogger Tony Graham said...

And..whatever happened to Bob Curran? It's getting to be that time of year...

12:50 AM, October 22, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tony graham, whats the update on the women's team. How have they looked since practices startetd.

9:48 AM, October 25, 2007  
Blogger Tony Graham said...

Am going over to Boylan today and will take a look..and get any injury updates...

I did a brief review on them on a prior blog..

10:50 AM, October 25, 2007  
Blogger Tony Graham said...

This from my earlier post after a practice last week..

Women - Marisa Jimenez and Lakia Barber did practice some. A very good sign. Marisa told me she expects to be cleared by next week for full time action. Lakia also looked good...she is expected to be ready to go for the season, last I heard. Brianne Edwards - did not practice. Last I heard not expected to play, at the earliest, until around Thanksgiving.




Jen Bender looked strong inside, as she usually does. If her medium range jumper ever comes around, itwould take her to another offensive level.

Marbely Montas, the junior college PG, was impressive, especially going to the hoop. Appears to be physically stronger than one would think at first glance.



MU mens and women's practices are open to the public.

10:54 AM, October 25, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tony i think u have to give them more then 5 or 10 minutes your being timed this time at least 60 - 40 with the guys or they are not taking you to the ncaa"s with them

3:37 PM, October 25, 2007  
Blogger Tony Graham said...

I hope we all have that opportunity..don't you?

10:12 PM, October 25, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home