Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Manasquan O-lineman Art Forst committs to Rutgers

By KEITH SARGEANT
STAFF WRITER
Art Forst wanted to wait before committing to the college football team of his choice. The original plan, the Manasquan High School rising senior lineman said, was to take five official campus visits before finalizing his decision.
But a funny thing happened when he evaluated the decision this past weekend.
"Honestly, I didn't see myself at any school other than Rutgers,'' said Forst, who notified Scarlet Knights football coach Greg Schiano late Saturday evening of his decision to join the Scarlet Knights' incoming 2008 recruiting class.
Forst, a 6-foot-8, 305-pound offensive tackle, chose Rutgers over more than a dozen scholarship offers. But ultimately, he said, he didn't want to string out the other schools that sought his service namely defending national champion Florida and Notre Dame.
""Basically I didn't want to waste the University of Florida's and Notre Dame's time anymore,'' said Forst, a four star (out of five) prospect according to scout.com and rivals.com and a consensus top-5 New Jersey recruit. ""I thought the world of Notre Dame's coaches, especially (offensive line) Coach Latina. I just didn't see myself at Notre Dame.''
Forst is believed to be one of Schiano's top targets in the '08 class. He's the seventh recruit to pledge, and he joins a group that's shaping up to be even better than Rutgers' consensus top-30 class of this year.
""I know they brought in a lot of quality linemen this past recruiting class,'' Forst said. ""I think one trait I have is the desire to not let anyone outwork me. I'm not going to shy away from hard work.
Forst said he envisions the day when he's bookending Anthony Davis, the highly-touted lineman from Piscataway who will join the Scarlet Knights when they report to camp this Thursday, on Rutgers' offensive line in the future.
""Coach Schiano, when he was recruiting me, said something interesting,'' Forst said. ""He told me when he was at Miami, the most grueling day of the week wasn't Saturday. It was Tuesdays and Wednesdays because there was so much depth and the second and third teams were a lot times as good as the teams they were playing.''
For now, Forst is looking forward to the start of Manasquan's camp on Aug. 13.
""We're going to be very good this year,'' he said.