Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Monday, January 15, 2007

Jason Krayl thoughts

This (below) is so well done I thought it deserved its own topic:


Jason Krayl has left a new comment on your post "Who?":

*Tony I'm not sure if this is applicable here or somehwere else, you can put it where it is best served, but I've been doing some reflection on MU hoops on my day off today*


Reading some of the criticisms and discontent here has not been easy for me this morning. I feel many of the same sentiments, and do not disagree with much of what has been said, but it really upsets me. It is not the crtiques alone, but the substance of what has been said. I have also been wondering if this might be the end of the Monmouth run of six winning seasons, and 3 NEC championships and that is a disappointing thing. While I truly hope that this season can be turned around, the problem is greater than one season or one player improving. Monmouth basketball is greater than any one player or one down season. What scares me more is a sharp downward descent, after all that has been accomplished and all this program has been through to get to where we are. This is something I hope does not unfold.

On this season, I still would not discount the Hawks, and what they can still achieve. I have been around this program long enough to learn not to be fatalistic about anything MU hoops. From Mustafa's miracle 4 point play at Marist, to the 21 point comeback at Trenton my freshman year to beat St. Francis NY in the NEC Finals, and everything in between, I know enough to know that MU always has a chance. Whether they get the #1 seed or the #8 seed, I would never discount the Hawks.

I have been a MU fan, player, and fan again for my entire life, by birth, choice, and loyalty, and take great pride in not only the program, but the university. At 25, and having been out for three years now, I think I am finally realizing how great it was and proud I am to have been part of helping build this program. I still can remember being a ball-boy watching my idol John Giraldo will MU to victories, or Al Blackwell overpowering guys. I can also remember the lean years, and the sadness I felt as a kid when Wayne Szoke left and the years that drove my father crazy when they couldn't win. Most importantly, I think about my freshman year and the years since then, that propelled the six straight winning seasons and the ascent to where this program now stands. It is very special, and I hope the kids that are on the team do realize this and dont take it for granted. It's not just about being a Division 1 basketball player or geting a $100,000 scholarhsip. It's about the memories, it's about pride, and it's about things much bigger than yourself. As Ive matured as a person I have realized that those were the four greatest years of my life, and I would do anything to be able to go back and do it again or play just one more basketball game. I still get knots in my stomach after losses, and admitedly get chills when the band plays the school fihgt song and the team runs out to take the floor at Boylan GYm. When the current players graduate and dont have basketball anymore, they will realize how lucky they were and how much they miss it. To this day, I see people all the time who comment on how great our teams were at MU and how they loved watching us play. As an 18 or 21 year old kid you dont realize it, but so many people take pride in you and your teammates, and look up to you, even at a smaller Division 1 institution like Monmouth.

So with all of this rambling, I just hope if the players on this year's team do read this, they realize what Monmouth basketball means to me, and to all those who have come through and played, and to the fans, and to the community. Players like Dave Calloway, and John Girlado, and Corey Albano, and later kids like Rahsaan Johnson, Kevin Owens, and Blake Hamilton worked so hard to help this program reach this point. It would be such a shame for this great thing to end. In short, I think the Mathchup defense and the offense work, and I think that MU needs to get back to playing typical fundamental MU hoops. I am hopeful, yet fearful at the same time. It matters to me not a great deal how one season unfolds, but what is a grave concern for me is how the overall development of players and the program unfolds.

Thank you Tony.

Posted by Jason Krayl to Tony Graham at 1/15/2007 11:58:42 AM


e-mail tonygsports@aol.com

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey TG

I could not agree more with what Jason put in that response. I am with him 100%. Jason drop me an email at mu6059@verizon.net.

Take Care

Tim Walker

12:39 PM, January 15, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tony if at all possible I would print copies of this and give it to each of the players. Maybe this might wake them up hit them over the head since it is coming from a former player. Well done Jason!

3:31 PM, January 15, 2007  
Blogger Tony Graham said...

It's not up to me to do that. I know the managers read this blog (maybe some players, too). Perhaps they (managers) will print out some copies.

3:37 PM, January 15, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once more time Jason is right to the point,Thank You Jason and I hope ALL the players read his words.

4:19 PM, January 15, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment was not meant to single out any one kid or group, but the whole team, and teams to come. I just hope that they all know how much we care and take pride in the program. MU basketball has such a great thing going and I hope that it continues to rise. I have regrets from my playing days for not appreciating it every second and like I said, I would do anything to get to lace the shoes up and run out on the court one more time. These are good kids and good players, I believe in the system, and have faith in the coaching staff. I think things will work out, but it will take a lot of hard work and dedication from everyone involved.

7:37 PM, January 15, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tony, the Hawk's are just to predictable.We must become more creative.Because we don't have the luxury of any help in the front court. All the defense has to do is sit back. The Hawk's must allow Shipman and Youngblood an opportunity to open up the floor. In oder to give Marcus and Deki some much needed space. These kid's can play.I'm confident that they will do great in the N.E.C. I just wish the fan's would give a chance. Also tell Coach Calloway to recruit in the South for a big fellow.

7:45 PM, January 15, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too predictable perhaps, I would like to see some quick hitters put in, but run up and down the court? That is not Monmouth University basketball. That is a recipe for 6 assists and 18 turnovers like MU had Saturday at QU en route to a 71-51 defeat. I agree things need to be mixed up a bit, but the answer simply is execution. Selective shooting, crisp cuts, and sharp passing should suffice. Execution has been plaguing MU all year. The system is not broke, maybe the personnel is the issue. They need to recruit more fundamentally sound players.

9:27 PM, January 15, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a follow-up to that last post about recruiting sound players -- Tony, do you know if there's a recruiting period coming up when we might hear who else MU is bringing in? Can HS players announce now, or must they wait until a certain date to do so?

12:51 PM, January 16, 2007  
Blogger Tony Graham said...

Official Signing dates : Basketball (Late Period) April 11, 2007 May 16, 2007

Football (Regular Period) February 7, 2007 April 1, 2007


High School athletes may verbally announce - but it is non-binding- for a college at any time.

As we speak MU men have two scholarships for next year...

A player from St. Benedicts' Prep (Holland, don't know much about him) visited MU for the MSM game...MU was alo looking at a player or players in Conn. this past weekend..

and MU is pondering JCs though nothing close there as far as I know...

As you may know MU has signed two players for next year..PG James Hett from Staten Island and 6-7 Nick Deltufo (Mendham) whose updates I try to post on this blog as often as I can. They are both having good years.

1:01 PM, January 16, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I apologize for my ignorance, but who is Jason Krayl, so I can understand where he is coming from with this post? And is he related to the coach who is there now and been there since the Johnson Administration? I hvae just followed the Hawks for a year or so now, and Im new to area. Thanks.

2:31 PM, January 16, 2007  
Blogger Tony Graham said...

Yes, Jason Krayl is the son of long time MU assistant coach Ron Krayl.


Jason, after playing high school ball at CBA, played four years at MU and was a 1,000 point scorer.
A solid all-around player, Jason was a member of the MU teams that went to the NCAAs in 2001 and 2004.

He currently works for the NJ Dept. of Homeland Scecurity.

2:41 PM, January 16, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the explanation sometimes I feel out in the dark on this site with the regulars...

2:44 PM, January 16, 2007  
Blogger Tony Graham said...

The player from St. Benedicts Prep who visited MU at the MSM game is John Holland, a 6-5 forward.

2:50 PM, January 16, 2007  
Blogger Tony Graham said...

To Jimmy C - no problem. Glad to have you aboard. I may also be reached by e-mail at tonygsports@aol.com at any time by any one

2:55 PM, January 16, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

John Holland 6-5 wing player would be a very good fit at MU.The word is Rider and FDU are also looking at him and NJIT was at his last game.

3:40 PM, January 16, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Del Tufo's team (Mendham, 1st place) plays 2nd place team tonight in a good matchup. Will be looking for the result tomorrow.

6:32 PM, January 16, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MU basketball has had its ups and downs, and the true fans stick with the program no matter what. Give the team some credit. They are battling with some injuries, and some of them were thrust into roles that maybe they didn't develop into yet. Jason gave some great examples of when Monmouth has done the impossible...have some faith in the team!

12:55 PM, January 17, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home