Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Saturday, December 30, 2006

Interview with new MU Promotions Director

In response to the departure of Tom Manzo from the Monmouth position of "Assistant Athletics Director/Marketing, Spirit and Promotions," and some critical comments here on the blog about MU not doing enough promotional work this year for its teams, Friday I spoke with Manzo's successor.


He is...Cliff Rowley: originally from North Brunswick

Background: Took the job at MU Sept. 25. Was with the NY Yankees for about seven years in their corporate marketing department. He said he will keep me advised of promotions coming up at MU games (men's and women's).


Comments from him:


"We are changing some things around. We are going to be doing some things differently. Promotions - we give out T-shirts every day, we give out subs every day, we do the Pepsi Crawl for Cash (from TG - my personal favorite - where's my blindfold?), things are the same.


""I'm still getting my feet wet with things. I think people just need to be patient and understand we do plan on doing everything as is, nothing has really changed.

""We are looking to bring in some more corporate type sponsors, and those I'm bringing with me from the Yankees are going to try and help out some programs and things we can do more for our fans, more promotional nights.

""This season, right now, we're kind of doing everything we did last year. Next year you're going to be able to see a huge difference in promotional nights.

""Look, it's tough, too,this time of year (Xmas break) the kids are gone. I don't have a band, cheerleraders, I don't have anything.


""Our last women's game - (from me, that was the one that had 76 in attendance) we had a Take a Kid to the Game Day promotion, we gave out some basketballs and things.

""There are a lot of good things that are ahead. It's kind of a work in progress at this point.''


From me - Remember this folks and you know this as well as I do: You can give away cars, money, etc., and have high wire acts at halftime, but nothing promotes fan interest like winning.

e-mail tonygsports@aol.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home