Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Cool down MU fans, apparently no Calhoun (at least this year)

I just talked with Qa'rraan Calhoun's legal guardian, Brock Johnson of Hazlet, father of former Raritan point guard and Calhoun teamate Marques Johnson who will be a junior at Boston U this season and who MU recruited.

Brock Johnson said- Calhoun is looking at going to a junior college next season, probably Barton CC in Kansas, where he would link up with his friend Sandy Perry, a 6-9 player from Perth Amboy. Then QC would have two years of D1 eligiblity left.

He said QC would rather do that than go to a D1 and sit out and have three years left.Yes, I know that doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense, but that's what he told me.....that QC doesn't want to sit around for a year.

After that?I asked about MU. He said if Calhoun wanted to come and play ""before the home crowd"" that could be a possibility. Didn't rule it out, but really didn't rule anyone out. Also said that in a 3-way phone conversation last night Calhoun talked with Perry and himself and they discussed possibly the three (with M. Johnson)playing together at BU. In this scenario Calhoun would play at BU with Johnson for one year.

Brock Johnson said he really didn't know why Calhoun left St. John's..that Calhoun was the only one who could answer that question. Brock said Calhoun wasn't talking to the media....that he was speaking for Calhoun at this point (some what reluctantly I might add..wasn't really enjoyng this in between role) but I left my number with Brock in case Calhoun has a change of heart.

That's the latest on "Q."

On to Mike Shipman. MU is putting out a formal release today on it's web site which I will also run here...

Dave said whatever he (Calloway) says on the release is all he's going to say. I do not have any # for Mike, personally, and do not generally have most cf numbers of players...


When a player of some stature leaves (Mike would qualify) we like to get a statement from the player. MU says they cannot supply me with same..that Mike's # has changed and they don't have it.

Still - at this stage - if Mike wants to get in touch with the APP, today would be the day...I am at tonygsports@aol.com. ..but....I am not going to just run something from someone who claims to be him. I'll work that out if the situation arises - and I am not going to make this a day-to-day adventure.

As I have said before.... ..I like Mike......he always dealt with me on a courteous and high level. I wish him the best...........

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well it was a nice dream -- maybe we still get him next year, but it sounds like he's more interested in following his friends around than picking a school for himself. Hopefully, he'll learn from from his mistake at St. John's and stay close to home this time where he can continue to make a name for himself in the shore area.
I'm sure the Hawks will keep close tabs on him in Kansas before they spend the scholarship freed up by Shipman.

1:23 PM, August 21, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To me it doesn't look too good for him coming here now. If he decided to transfer this year, Calloway would have jumped at taking him.

Without him this year, I think the more pressing need for another point guard will show itself and MU will go after one instead.

1:40 PM, August 21, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sad, sad day. I can't help but think that a player of his stature is making a mistake by jumping to a Community College and losing a year of D-1 Eligibility. It would make more sense for him to sign somewhere in D-1, not sit around but get an education and practice with his team/learn the system and then play D-1 basketball with 3 years of eligibility remaining. It's a shame, I still wish that the MU coaching staff will take the time to try to "sell" coming to Monmouth to him rather than his current plan of a year at community college.

5:07 PM, August 21, 2007  
Blogger Tony Graham said...

Re Calhoun: It is a curious decision to go to JC and give up a year of college ball.


He's got this friend...Sandy Perry (Perth Amboy) who will be a soph there.

Actually the 3-way phone call last night was between Calhoun, B. Johnson, and Perry (as I re-listened to the tape).

5:17 PM, August 21, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Calhoun made a bad decision to go to St. John's -- you think he'd learn from that. Now he's going to forego a year of D1 eligibility to go to a JC in Kansas to be with his friend. Then, hopefully, the waters will part and the 2 two of them can magically re-unite (for 1 glorious year!!!) with their other bud in Boston.
I'm just shaking my head -- you just can't teach brains!!!

9:22 AM, August 22, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home