Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Monday MAC update

Dimena not in the office today (Monday) ..unless I hear from him today I should be in touch with him (I hope) Tuesday for final word....

Maybe MU will have some sort of statement ..don't know.



Below from last Thursday -

I just spoke with Monmouth U Vice President and General Counsel (school lawyer) Greg Dimena.

He said, ""As far as I know there was no appeal. The time limit to appeal I believe expired on Monday. We checked with the (WLB) clerk's office Tuesday. It's now Thursday and nothing has been served on the University so my assumption is there has been no appeal.""

Dimena would not declare it a "done deal" yet preferring to wait a few more days.


'''I'm being a little overly cautious before I say it's over,'' Dimena told me. ""But I think it's looking real good.''



Earlier Thursday MU AD Marilyn McNeil said, ""-" the instititution has not been notified of any formal appeal.''

So that's where we are as of Thursday afternoon. It seems to me - you can - almost - break out the shovels.!!!!


..

If all goes well McNeil said ground breaking is hoped for by mid summer at the latest...with opening planned fo spring-summer 2009 and thus for beginningof the 2009-2010 hoops season...

Here is some background from most recent Press news story....

The scaled-down multi-purpose activity center would have 720 fewer seats - down to 4,122 - and would host 12 "'capacity"' events a year instead of the 25 originally planned. Capacity events are expected to attract 4,000 or more people.

There also would be fewer parking spaces.The $34 million arena would host basketball games and feature an indoor track, the university bookstore, athletic department offices, the Varsity Club, classrooms and a fitness center.



Also (from me) ..there are no plans for any additional varsity sports at Monmouth now or at least in the immediate future. There is some club wrestling starting up, and someone asked about men's lacrosse. Apparently not much going on for either on the varsity level.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tony,

Do you know anything about MU having an ice hockey team? I've seen some items on the bulletin board at Boylan during the hoops season talking about this.
I'd be interested in going to some of those games if MU does sport a team in it.

6:12 PM, May 15, 2007  
Blogger Tony Graham said...

It may have a club team. I know it did some years ago and still may. It definitely does not have a varsity team.

6:14 PM, May 15, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ice hockey was club when I was in school (98-02). I would love to see Men's lacrosse in the future, perhaps if we ever leave the NEC. But lets focus on getting the MAC built first!!

11:15 PM, May 15, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Tony, I was just playing around on MU's website. The St. Peter's football game is now listed as a home game. Anyway you can confirm this with Coach???

Don't mean to hijack this thread but didn't see any football threads to post it in.

11:20 PM, May 15, 2007  
Blogger Tony Graham said...

Please..hijack this thread by all means!

Anyway....it is a home game. Callahan got that changed. Othrwise MU would not have played at home until Christmas. Well, October anyway.

Maybe I should put up a general comments thread....at this time of year...

12:00 AM, May 16, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

still no word on the MAC?

9:32 AM, May 17, 2007  
Blogger Tony Graham said...

Will try again soon...

10:13 AM, May 17, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home