Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Sunday, April 29, 2007

MU wins NEC women's lacrosse championship

Hawks to rally to win at the Mount, 9-8.

Shore Regional grad Ashley Waldman nets the game winner.

MU to play at MAAC champion LeMoyne in play-in game...

Below from MU SID Greg Viscomi


Hawks erase late deficit and tally game-winner with less than a minute to play

EMMITSBURG, Md.- Monmouth University’s women’s lacrosse team earned their second straight Northeast Conference Championship and third overall with a 9-8 victory over Mount St. Mary’s on Sunday afternoon in Emmitsburg, Md.

With two minutes to play and down by one, MU had their second straight shot at tying the game but turned the ball over in front of the Mount goal. Ashley Waldman (Oceanport, N.J./Shore Regional) earned a free position shot when she was leveled by NEC Defensive Player of the Year Jacqui Ricca, who was forced to leave the game with a yellow card. Waldman passed the ball out and after a few dishes NEC Player of the Year Katie Degen (Glenhead, N.Y./Northshore) tallied the game tying goal, her third straight score of the game with 55 seconds left. The Hawks won the draw, came down when Waldman was fouled inside the eight meter, earning a shot at taking the lead. The junior midfielder came through in the clutch, bouncing the ball low to give MU a 9-8 with 38 seconds to play. The Hawks won the

“I am very proud of our team, they showed a lot of guts out there against a talented Mount team,” said head coach Kelly McCardell. “They never gave up, even when they were down by three late in the game.”

In the second half, it took three and a half minutes for Mount to tie the game back up, with senior Jenna Duffy’s goal knotting the game at 4-4. The Mountaineers retook the lead at the 22:37 mark after midfielder Rebecca Douglass beat MU goalie Monica Johnson (Radnor, Pa./Archbishop Carroll). The top-seeded Mountaineers went up by a 6-4 margin after Kathleen Rossetti scored on a free position attempt. Things went from bad to worse for the Hawks as Katelyn Catanese scored the Mount’s fourth straight unanswered goal, giving the home team a 7-4 lead with 18 minutes to play in regulation.

Junior Megan Nutter (Moorestown, N.J./Moorestown) stopped the bleeding after taking a pass off an eight meter attempt from Carolyn Raveia (Woodbridge, Va./W.T. Woodson) and beating Mount goalie Jane Karger high. Mount came right back after winning the draw control and scored their eighth goal of the game to put the lead at 8-5. It took almost xx minutes, but MU’s Katie Degen got the Hawks within a pair with her unassisted goal with six minutes to play in the game. After the Hawks won the draw, Degen came right back and cut the lead to a goal on a pass from Waldman, making the score 8-7 with 5:25 showing on the clock. Monmouth appeared the score the game-tying goal on a Raveia shot that dribbled passed Karger but the referees waived off the goal. Monmouth had another shot at tying the game with two minutes to play but MU turned the ball over in front of the MSM net. Minutes later Degen netted the game-tying goal, completing the 3-0 run and setting up Waldman’s heroics.

Monmouth earned the first few scoring chances in the opening minutes of the game, taking five shots, but all three that found the goal mouth were saved by Karger. It took almost 14 minutes, but Mount Saint Mary’s got on the board first scoring with a goal from AJ Johnson. Back to back saves from MU’s Johnson, the Monmouth defense broke down minutes later and allowed a one-timer from Jackie Kearney to Catanese to give the Mountaineers a 2-0 lead with just over nine minutes to play in the half. Monmouth finally got on the board at the 4:34 mark after junior Ashley Waldman (Oceanport, N.J./Shore Regional) fed Megan Brennan (King of Prussia, Pa./Archbishop Carroll) in front of the net, to cut the lead to 2-1.

Mount won the ensuing draw and quickly took a shot which was promptly turned away by Johnson. After Waldman caused a turnover she passed the ball to midfield were Megan Nutter would eventually find a streaking Brennan, who tied the game at 2-2 with a low shot that beat Karger. The tie wouldn’t last long as AJ Johnson netted her second goal of the game to give Mount a 3-2 lead with 2:44 left. Less than a minute later senior Carolyn Raveia (Woodbridge, Va./W.T. Woodson) tied the game on a ball that hit the top left of the MSM net. With 50.6 seconds left in the period, Waldman earned a foul away from the ball but was awarded a free position attempt, which she converted on, giving the Hawks a 4-3 lead.

Degen was named as the Tournament’s Most Valuable Player after tallying six goals on the weekend, including three straight towards the end of the championship game. Brennan, Johnson, Waldman and Robinson were named to the All-Tournament team.

Catanese finished with three goals in the game, with AJ Johnson scoring a pair. Karger made 15 saves in the loss, while Ricca had three caused turnovers and four ground balls.

Degen finished with three goals in the game, with Brennan and Waldman each scoring two in the contest. Johnson made 12 saves in net for the Hawks.

The Hawks will now await the winner of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference, LeMoyne College, who the Hawks defeated earlier in the season. Check back to www.GoMUHawks for the date and


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see Hawks lacrosse continue to soar... It's a program that, if the school wanted to put a few resources into it, could become at perenniel Top 25 team someday... Unfortunately that's a big 'if'.

Hook'em Hawks

1:33 PM, May 01, 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home